You are not logged in.

[Game] The Legacy

Dear visitor, welcome to Gladiatus.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ares

God Of War

• "Ares" started this thread

Friday, July 14th 2017, 12:53pm

The Legacy

Yesterday evening, an unexpected news tab entitled "The Legacy" appeared in the game.
It is probably a diary entry of an approaching legionary, but we are not really so sure.

The Legacy

Galerius Senecianus` Diary, DCXCIX a.u.c.

So, I sit and I write. I never would have thought that I would one day start writing a diary. It seems the lessons of Magister Cornelius Marcus are finally paying off. I never enjoyed those long, boring classes. Fortunately I can now focus on other things.

Which leads me to explain why I have started this journal: from today onwards I shall be a part of the glorious Roman army! It was not easy to convince my parents to let me join up. But I think they are also very proud. Again and again we are receiving reports from the Gallic front, where Proconsul Gaius Iulius Caesar is striking glorious battles for the republic. After everything that you hear about it, it must be a most uplifting feeling to be part of his troop in battle. I can barely wait to prove myself in combat. Some street brawlers incensed by the current political fanatic will be paltry in comparison to the heights of true battle against the barbarians! Everything is prepared for our departure. We head north in the light of the morning.

I am proud to call myself Legionnaire. The armour is hanging, thirsting for action. This afternoon I already put it on to check the fit. So this is how the heroes of Rome look, I thought – and soon I will make a name for myself amongst their ranks!

My parents are worried: the trip to Gaul is long. Instead of making my living as a soldier, I could have led a most comfortable and somewhat peaceful life here. But that is not what I wanted for myself. My greatest desire is to do something for Rome, to stir emotions. Once I join up with Caesar’s army and make my mark in his campaign, I should manage this. After all, this man is doing the unthinkable in Gaul.

The diary was supposed to be my saviour in the face of loneliness, they said. I do not think that I am lonely or that I will have much time for writing. I anticipate a most turbulent time ahead of me. However, I do still think that one day, perhaps I may read this book to my own children and bring them closer to the history of their highly decorated father. It certainly won’t hurt to write something every now and then. Let’s see how frequently I manage to do so.

some players 100+now feel like they are big shots , now that they can beat lev 20's 5x a day :ill:

Antwerp is unbelievable

Ares

God Of War

Friday, July 21st 2017, 10:09pm

The Legacy 2

Three weeks have passed since we departed. The further north we venture, the cooler it gets – yet despite this it is summer and the strenuous march still manages to bring on a powerful sweat. We also carry a great deal of the equipment ourselves, as we have not brought many mules with us. But that matters little to anyone here. The majority were never this far from Rome and every day of march is a new adventure. Sometimes we sing joyful songs of victory. Last week a pair of bandsmen came upon us as we sat by our camp fire. They told tales and recited poetry to the tones of a lyre. We thanked them for the entertainment with a meal and then they headed on through the camp. The evening gatherings remind me of home every time. But I would not trade my place amongst my comrades for the world.

It cannot be long now before we come upon Caesar’s troops. The anticipation rises with each new day. You can feel it amongst all who travel with us. The majority of us are young and inexperienced, making us all the more hungry to prove ourselves. I am convinced at least that we still have the most glorious years of our lives ahead of us. Just now our commander Centurion Caius Tiberius revealed to us that our journey will not be ending in Gaul. He confirmed the suspicion that Caesar intends to push as far as Britain, to push back the Britons, who keep coming to reinforce the barbarian tribes in this war. If I think about it, that I could be part of the conquest of Britain... I can almost feel how we are changing the world. Caius Tiberius is a most experienced commander. He has really whipped our troops into shape over the last few days. To know that he praises the Proconsul and his actions only confirms to me that I should look up to Caesar.

It cannot be long now before we reach the north of Gaul. Who knows, perhaps Caesar will welcome our troop with one of his most refined speeches. Then I would be able to tell Magister Cornelius about it one day, when I return home. He will certainly be astounded if I then dish out some new rhetorical blows on him! But that is a long, long way away.

some players 100+now feel like they are big shots , now that they can beat lev 20's 5x a day :ill:

Antwerp is unbelievable

Ares

God Of War

Friday, July 28th 2017, 11:29am

The Legacy 3

What did we do that we now suffer the wrath of Jupiter? We’ve been holed up in these tents for hours now, waiting for the thunder and lightning to draw away. The rain whips over Gaul as if there was no tomorrow. Our clothing has long been drenched and the tents repel the water as well as a sieve. The cold is crawling its way up my legs. Are the gods not looking upon our actions favourably?

We have now entered into the ranks of the main army. Caesar makes for a most impressive appearance, as far as I am able to tell. I was only able to briefly see his face from a great distance. We’ve already overcome our first group of barbarians. However I had imagined it as a much more glorious affair. Our first fight was a Gaul ambush from behind. Just a light skirmish in the end, yet it still cost Marcus his life. A slip in the slurry and he was gone. I do not wish to fall in a similar fashion.

I slew my first barbarian in this battle. It was the one who had ensured Claudius spend time within the Medicus’ tent. The gods chose to enact their will through my hands, ensuring that I was not caught. But yet... what if Jupiter’s fury has no end, and this weather continues without rest?

Earlier, when I made a sacrifice with my parents at the temple, the Priest always said, ‘Give the gods your best, that you might not incur their wrath’. Was I perhaps careless these last few weeks? Perhaps. Still, I was so enthralled with anticipation that I barely took the gods into consideration. Or with doubt in general. Father always tried to temper my enthusiasm. Mostly without success. On the other hand, he always found the right words to pick me up again in my most difficult moments. My comrades on the other hand seem to be as deflated as I am. Some words of encouragement are exactly what is needed.

As I was still a child, my mother often made a particular dish to lift my spirits. Strange that it actually worked. But I would also not turn down a hearty meal right now. Crispy bread and sweet honey. I have adjusted to the march’s provisions, but this cereal porridge with dried ham is just simply not a satisfying evening meal. I also miss my family. I wonder if Lucilla had her child yet? She wanted to use the name Aurelius, should the gods be kind enough to gift her a son. A shame that I will first see my nephew when he will already be able to walk. Perhaps I do not even return to home before he even starts to dream of grand battles...

Why am I so pensive? Hopefully the weather turns soon.

Antwerp is unbelievable

Ares

God Of War

Friday, August 4th 2017, 6:31pm

The Legacy 4

The high summer is drawing to a close and a real invasion seems further away than it ever was. However Caesar wishes to gather more information on the inhabitants, troop strength and landscape of Britain before winter draws in. We are also on the lookout for a suitable base camp. Yes, we – I had the grand honour of being part of this undertaking. Together with some comrades, I was assigned to the reconnaissance troop of the prestigious tribune of Gaius Volusenus, who are charged with further investigating the Britons. We sailed along the cost for some days, to garner an impression.

Originally it was planned to travel over land and see it for ourselves up close. Volusenus however considered this plan too dangerous as the local tribes control every coastal patrol. Initially I was disappointed, as I can barely wait to be a part of the conquest of Britain. But with our return, it became clear to me that his decision was the right one: the legions were already equipped for departure. Autumn is drawing in, yet there is enough time still for a small push into Briton territory. I am curious to see how far Caesar’s brilliant tactics will take us, before we have to dig in for the winter.

Tomorrow we move across the island and commence with the subjugation of the Briton barbarians. I must however admit that I am concerned. Volusenus was clearly of the opinion that these Britons are extremely proud enemies, who will hardly be willing to surrender. On top of this, older legionnaires have already crossed swords with them as they came to the aid of the Gauls in previous fights. These islanders seem to be quite hardened warriors. On the other hand, I wonder what goes through the head of a tribe leader when he gazes upon the concentrated might of Rome. I, as a respectable Legionnaire, naturally would never surrender, but what of these barbarians? Perhaps they are open to subjugation, once they see our legions in their full strength in person.

Either way, I need to give my all in this battle if I wish to bring honour to Rome. I will do everything in my power to prove myself worthy as Caesar’s soldier. Britons, prepare yourselves for my blade!

Antwerp is unbelievable